Monday, November 03, 2008


Recently, over at Apartment Therapy's The Kitchn, I came across a post about no-knead bread. Intrigued, I did some further research and found the original New York Times article. Check out this video of the baker in action. I love the idea of making your own bread. And, the less work I have to do the better. So, after searching Austin for a reasonably priced pan to bake it in, I gave it a shot.

The first loaf was really nice for a first try. I used a little too much cornmeal so I could not tell how brown the crust was getting so it was burnt in a couple of places. It was very tasty and I used it for lunch all week. Since the first loaf was all white flour, I wanted to try a whole-wheat version. For my second try, I used three cups of whole-wheat pastry flour and one cup of white flour. The dough was VERY wet but I proceeded. It turned out OK. Here's a picture:

I think that I'll stick to store-bought whole wheat bread for now and use this recipe when I want a nice loaf with dinner.

No comments: