Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Project: Found Object Jewelry Organizer


Until recently, I faced this mess every morning when deciding which earrings to wear.  It always happened -- I wanted to wear a certain pair of studs.  Instead of finding that perfect pair, I had to go without because the earrings I wanted were impossible to find in this tangle of bangles.  So, I decided that I needed to do something about it. I first I thought that I could go thrifting to find little vintage trays and such, but that meant that I had to go out and buy stuff.  So, I decided to solve the problem with some things around the house.  


So, I gathered the items above to start the project. 

  • Wool Felt Scraps
  • Double-stick tape
  • Coke Bottle Caps (preferably of the Mexican variety)
  • Paper punch



Basically, I took a piece of felt and cut it to fit it in these bamboo drawer organizers that I put in the top drawer of my dresser.  Next, I took the paper punch and punched out several felt circles and placed them in the bottle caps.  They fit quite snugly so I didn't need to glue or tape the circles into the bottle caps.  Once I created enough bottle caps, I used the double-sided tape to stick the caps to the felt.  I left enough room in the center of the tray for my larger earrings.  




Voila! Isn't it cool?  It's working out very nicely.  Now I have little trouble finding earrings in the morning and the rest of my jewelry is nicely organized too.  This was a fun, easy and expensive project!  


No comments: